Our Youth Services department has put together a list of 50 books to read with your child before they turn five! We love these books, and we think you will, too.
It’s difficult to choose only 50 when there are so many awesome books, but we’ve been wriggling our brains to compile these stand-out books that are so much fun to read.
Reading with your child helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge, which are all important skills that prepare them for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
These 50 books can also help you get started on your way to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, a program which makes reading to your little one even MORE fun. By signing up through Beanstack (which we discussed in last week’s post), you can easily track your reading progress and know when your child qualifies for milestone rewards.
Listed in alphabetical order by author’s last name, all 50 of these books can be checked out with your library card through our library. We hope to see you soon!
Book titles pictured above:
- Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae
- Bunnies on the Bus by Philip Ardagh
- Where’s the Car? by Ingela P. Arrhenius
- Baby Goes to Market by Atinuke
- Little Green peas by Keith Baker
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- If You’re Happy and You Know It by Jane Cabrera
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry
- Splish, Splash, Ducky! by Lucy Cousins
- Freight Train by Donald Crews
- Animals Go Vroom! by Abi Cushman
- Little Turtle Tries by Michael Dahl
- The Crayons’ Book of Numbers by Drew Daywalt
- Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
- Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes by James Dean
- Llama, Llama, Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
- The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
- Dog’s Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
- Rain, Rain, Go Away, The Dinosaurs All Want to Play by Joe Fitzpatrick
- Do Not Bring Your Dinosaur to the Library by Julie Gassman
- Little White Fish by Guido Van Genechten
- Global Babies by The Global Fund for Children
- Fiona’s Feelings by Dr. John Hutton
- A Parade of Elephants by Kevin Henkes
- This Little Piggy by Jarvis
- Peek-a-Who? by Nina Laden
- A Big Mooncake for Little Star by Grace Lin
- Look, Look! by Peter Linenthal
- Big Fish, Little Fish by Johnathan Litton
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
- Bathe the Cat by Alice B. McGinty
- Lola Reads to Leo by Anna McQuinn
- Thank You, Omu! by Oge Mora
- The Book With No Pictures by B.J. Novak
- Faster! Faster! by Leslie Patricelli
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
- The Classic Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
- Happy Hair by Mechal Renee Roe
- Colors by Shelley Rotner
- Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
- Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- Surprise! by Liesbet Slegers
- Noisy Nora by Rosemary Wells
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
- Breathe Like a Bear by Kira Willey
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson
- How do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen
To download the PDF with book titles that link directly to our library catalog, click here:
For more information about our Youth Services department and the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program, visit https://reedlibrary.org/youth.